DUI Penalties In Wildwood Crest, NJ
Driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving under the influence (DUI) in the state of New Jersey is a serious offense that leads to significant penalties.
One of the most common and life-altering penalties is the suspension of your driver’s license. Without a license, you can’t drive yourself to work, to school, to the store, or doctor’s appointments. Your entire way of life is severely impacted.
How Long Are License Suspensions In NJ?
The length of your license suspension is directly tied to your prior history of DUI convictions. Typical suspension periods are:
- 3-month suspension for a first offense with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08-0.10%
- 7-month suspension for first offense with a BAC greater than 0.10%
- 2-year suspension for a second offense
- 10-year suspension for a third and subsequent offences.
Depending on the circumstances of your arrest and conviction, the court has the discretion to extend these suspension sentences.
How To Get Your License Reinstated
Once your suspension period is over, you may be eligible to have your license reinstated in Wildwood Crest or Cape May County, NJ. To get your license reinstated as quickly as possible, talk to a DUI attorney in New Jersey who can guide you through the process.
To reinstate your driver’s license following a DUI conviction in New Jersey, you must follow standard renewal procedures, which includes:
- Paying a reinstatement fee of $100 on top of any other civil monetary penalties imposed as a result of your conviction.
- Completing additional training or alcohol and drug abuse prevention courses.
- Taking another driving test
Once your driver’s license is reinstated, you are subject to additional scrutiny. If you commit a violation within a year of reinstatement, your license may be suspended for an additional:
- 90 days for violations within 6 months of reinstatement
- 60 days for violations within 7 to 9 months of reinstatement
- 45 days for violations within 10 to 12 months of reinstatement
Following reinstatement of your driver’s license, you may also be required to use an ignition interlock device (IID) on your vehicle. An IID prevents you from starting your vehicle until you provide a breath sample that indicates you are not intoxicated.
How To Fight A DUI Charge In Wildwood Crest, New Jersey
Most people think that it’s impossible to fight a DUI charge in Wildwood Crest or Cape May County, NJ. That is simply not true. The first thing you must do is contact a DUI attorney in New Jersey as soon as possible after your arrest.
A DUI attorney will scour the evidence presented against you to look for errors made by cops during the arrest, the possibility of faulty testing equipment, and other details that can help reduce or dismiss the charges against you.
Contact Leckerman Law
Defense attorney Kevin Leckerman focuses solely DUI/DWI in defense in Cape May County, Wildwood Crest, and Camden County, NJ. He is an expert in all areas of DUI law and will sift through every last piece of evidence to find errors made by arresting officers, faulty breathalyzers, and violations of your rights. A DUI/DWI charge can having life-long ramifications. If you are charged with a DUI, contact Kevin Leckerman today.